By David Stark
In 1866 a Missouri law was passed obligating Missouri towns to be responsible for their schools. In November of that year, a school for black children was started in Gallatin in a room rented from Capt. John Ballinger until a schoolhouse was ready.
The schoolhouse was completed in 1867 at the northeast corner of Johnson and Chestnut streets in west Gallatin in the Woodruff-Strong-Cooper Addition. By 1870,